Friday, December 17, 2010

8th Day of Beauty - Detox Your Skin

With the winter in full blast pretty much all across the country, chances are your skin is starting to get flakey, dry and dull. Even if your skin isn’t looking that bad, now is a great time to detox your skin, clear out those pores and really get glowing for Christmas. By detoxing a week before the holiday, you give your skin enough time to completely cleanse itself and clear up any zits that may arise from the cleansing. My favorite way to detox is to use a great masque.


The first step to any skin detox plan is to cleanse thoroughly with your usual cleanser. I wouldn’t suggest you try a new cleanser right now, your skin may have a negative reaction…no one wants to risk that. A great way to get deep into those pores and exfoliate well is to use some kind of scrubbie.

I know tons of people who are in love with the Clairsonic- I have this tool but never really got into it. I hate charging things, especially when I need to use them every day. My personal favorite (and a LOT cheaper at about $2) is a basic Buf Puf style exfoliating sponge. You can get these from any drug store and only need a small amount of your cleanser to make a great lather on it. Scrub your face really well with this and your skin will be in great condition for the next detox steps.

The most effective way to open your pores is with heat or steam. Open pores means the treatments you will be doing can work to their full potential. Take a nice, hot shower and use a scrub on your body. My favorite is Perlier’s Pomegranate Scrub; it’s great smelling and really works into your skin. Take some extra time on your elbows and anywhere else you may have some dry patches. Rinse off well.

My favorite masks to purify and cleanse are clay based. I’ve tried tons of different masks that claim they will clear your pores and smooth your skin, but nothing really happens. The mask I’ve had flawless results with time and time again is Payot’s Masque Purifiant. This masque is perfect for oily to combination skin, helping to tighten pores and eliminate imperfections. This is great as a spot treatment to use overnight as well! If you don’t have a clay masque you can use, visit your local Ulta or Sephora and speak to one of the skincare experts- they can set you up with a product that will work great with your skin type.

Don’t be stingy when applying! Put a nice, thick coat of whichever mask you choose to your entire face, avoiding the eye area. I apply all the way under my chin onto my neck, making sure to cover my jaw line completely. Take some time and let the masque do it’s magic. It may be hard, but try not to talk for the fifteen to twenty minutes it’s on (this way it doesn’t crack). I would take this time to put a great moisturizer on your body.

Try a body butter or something extra thick that can really seep into that freshly scrubbed skin. I switch up body lotions all the time, but one of my favorites to use is also by Perlier, Mediterraneum Super Nurturing Body Butter with Sea-extracts. Don’t feel like waiting that long for the body product to seep in? Try a light, non-greasy fluide that allows you to get dressed right away.

After your masque is completely dry, remove with a soft terry washcloth and warm water. Your skin will feel completely retexturized, smoothed and tight. I always use an astringent or toner to make sure I’ve gotten the entire product off before moisturizing. When you wash off your masque, you will need to apply a cream to rehydrate and restore some oils to your skin. Use your regular moisturizer on your face, neck and décolleté.

There are tons of other products you can use to detox your skin, including peels, foaming masques and serums. When I don’t feel like waiting for my masque to dry, I use Sampar’s Equalizing Foam Peel to detox my skin. It’s a two minute treatment that uses essential oils and probiotics to rid your face of dead skin cells.

Try out some different products and see what works best for you. While some products can cause a negative reaction at first, (afterall, you are trying to rid your pores of all that dirt and oil) clay masques are usually gentle but effective enough for all skin types. By giving your face and body great treatments, your skin will be radiant for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment