Monday, December 20, 2010

5th Day of Beauty - Get Great Brows!

My favorite thing in the world, and the part of everyone’s face that I’m most critical about is eyebrows. It’s become a growing obsession…a joke between my friends and I that I can’t seem to break away from. I’ve found myself thinking critically about children’s eyebrows. After meeting someone new, the first thing I say to whoever I’m with is either ‘I like their eyebrows’ or ‘their eyebrows need work’. You thought I was kidding when I said obsession, huh?


Eyebrows truly frame a person’s face, and for me, are a sign of how well-kempt someone is. It takes only minutes a day to trim, shape, or manage your eyebrows once you have a shape that works for your face, and I can’t see how someone wouldn’t want to take that time to do something so simple that can change their whole face.

There are tons of products out there to help you get a great shape for your brows. From stencils to home wax kits, the consumer market knows people are looking for a way to shape up their brows themselves. Be wary of these products: failure to use them properly isn’t uncommon, and a slip-up with home wax kits or going a little too wild with your tweezers and a stencil can be catastrophic to your face.

My suggestion? Go get your brows done professionally. Getting your brows done isn’t expensive, and it will completely change the shape, thickness and appearance of your brows. They know how to shape them for your face, so ignore all the stuff you hear about high arches, round arches, etc. If you’re afraid of waxing, (remember, wherever wax goes, it must be ripped off) please be aware that waxing is an entire class in beauty school, and as long as you have an esthetician that is certified, you should be safe. Some people feel waxing gives you a harsher look and lines that are more severe, but I think if you go to a good wax expert you won’t have a problem.

For those that are wary of the hot wax that tears your hair out of your face, there’s threading. Threading seems to be a growing phenomenon – there are two threading booths in my mall alone. I’ve heard things such as ‘it gives you a softer look’ or ‘it doesn’t hurt at all’…I think it’s a bunch of bull. Anything that rips hair from the follicle is going to hurt, and unless the person is trying to give you a softer look, you won’t get one.

For those of you who don’t know about threading, it’s an ancient practice that involves thread (like, the stuff you sew with) which is twisted and pressed up against the hairs you are trying to remove. Often the people shaping your brows make you hold your own skin, or hold different parts of your face while you’re getting it done, which is kind of annoying to me. Tons of my friends are obsessed with threading, sometimes going once every week or two weeks. I think this is a total waste of money as long as you can invest in a good pair of tweezers.

To get great brows for Christmas, go to a professional to get them shaped. This will only put you out $10 to $15, and it’s definitely worth it. Right after your appointment, go buy a great pair of tweezers! Get a pair that’s slanted, not super pointy like a needle (they’re too difficult to maneuver). The key to keeping a great shape to your brow is to keep up with them. I’ve only gotten my eyebrows waxed twice in about ten years, and never had to go back again because I tweeze daily. Before you put on your eye makeup, tweeze whatever stray hairs you see. It will only take minutes a day, and saves you money and time in the long run.

Next, buy an eyebrow comb: totally inexpensive and totally necessary to me. These little brushes cost as little as $2, and that’s all you’ll need to spend to get something that works. Comb your brows into the shape your brow artist formed, and straighten them out so they don’t look all straggly. I’ve heard methods of keeping your brows in this position by spraying the brush with hairspray and combing through, but I don’t think there’s anything good about putting hairspray onto your skin. This can clog your pores, and often leaves white dust on your eyebrows. Not pretty. Instead, use a great clear mascara or eyebrow ‘glue’ type of product (my favorite is Modelco’s Brow Control) that can keep your brows from curling and getting all crazy throughout the day.

Before applying this, however, check your eyebrows and see if there are any areas that are a little too light. Being a natural blonde, I have eyebrows that are a little light in some spots. I know some women with platinum eyebrows (my mother for one!) that you can’t see unless you line them. Be wary of eyebrow powders, they don’t stay on well and can smear into your eye makeup.

I’ve invested in ybf Beauty’s transforming eyebrow pencil and can’t live without it. It comes in one brown color and changes to suit your color depending on the pressure you apply when drawing. It also has a great mascara wand on the other end that you can use as an eyebrow comb (who doesn’t like two products in one!?). Comb your brows in place and shade your brows with short, dashing motions. Apply lightly at first and darken if you deem necessary. Concentrate on giving yourself a nice, strong arch – it will define your eyes and give you an ultra-sexy look. After penciling in any spots that need some help, use your brow ‘glue’. This will keep your brows looking exactly how you want them throughout the day.

You will see a huge difference in how your face and makeup look when your brows are done. Use today to get your brows fixed up, and keep them in shape for the next couple of days so they’re perfect for Christmas. You will thank me when you see how much more amazing you look when your makeup is finished on the big day!

No comments:

Post a Comment