Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Sunset Eyes - Picture Tutorial using Shany Cosmetics and Emani Mineral Eyeshadow


I decided to try something different with my eye makeup today, and wanted to go bright and bold. I purchased a pallet called Bold and Bright quite some time ago from Shany Cosmetics that has beautifully bright matte and shimmer eyeshadows, and I wanted to experiment with some of the off the wall colors. These shadows are AMAZING, the pallets are SO cheap, and the color payoff is the best I've found. When looking for matte, bright shadows, sometimes it's hard to find bright colors that come out on your brush as vibrant as they are in the pan, and these definitely do the job.


I decided to do a sunset inspired eye with yellow, orange, red and purple. This pallet does have some white/off white shimmer colors, but I decided to use my Emani Minerals color dust in White Gold as a great highlighting shimmer for above my bright colors right up to my brow. I've had this color dust since I went to a networking event in New York City, but haven't had a chance to work it out. I applied this shimmer first with my soft eye contour brush to my brow bone area and the corner of my eye, and the sheen to it was fantastic. Surprisingly, unlike other mineral eyeshadows, it stayed ON my brush and didnt dust all over my face or eyelid. I love this mineral dust and can't wait to try it again!
(Please don't mind my high-def camera showing you every single pore I have in these pictures!)

STEP 1 - After shaping my brows and applying my mineral dust in White Gold to my brow bone, it was time to start the bright color application. I've used regular clear tape on the edges of my eyes to keep a clean end line and avoid shadow dust on my cheeks. I started with a regular shadow brush with soft bristles, and applied yellow from the inner corner of my eye to the center of my eye lid. It's always easier to drag the color further than you intend to show, since it will be easier to blend a darker color over it rather than into it. I brought the yellow up slightly over my eyelid onto my brow bone to ensure all colors would be seen when my eyes were open all the way.

STEP 2 - Following the sunset theme, I chose a bright orange to take with the same shadow brush from right around where my iris starts to the edge of my eye. Again, I've dragged this across to the edge of my eye to blend easier for my next color. To blend into the yellow, I used my soft eye contour shadow brush and gently patted the colors that were already on my eye right where the two met. By not trying to apply and blend at the same time, the color with gradate together perfectly. I also dragged this orange up over my eye lid with my shadow brush a little higher than the yellow, and met the two with the same blending technique.

STEP 3 - RED! I love red eye shadow for some reason, and love how it contrasts against my blue eyes. I started applying the red from the outer edge of my iris to the end of the eye. I dragged this higher than the orange onto my brow bone area, and used the same patting technique with my soft eye contour brush to blend the orange and red together.

STEP 4 - I could have stopped right here and left the eye like this, but when I think of sunsets I always think of the magentas and purples that go high into the sky when the sun is going down. I decided to blend some purple onto the ends of my eyes. With the tape placed at the edges of my eyes, I guaranteed myself a sharp edge to my shadow application. I put purple halfway into the red shadow I applied all the way to the edge of the tape. I blended this slightly lower than the red to give my eyes a great, open shape.

After all of the shadows were applied, I pulled the tape off the ends of my eyes, and applied my liner. I tried to keep it clean and tight to my lash line, attempting to draw no attention to anything but the beautiful colors. I used my regular Maybelline mascara and got final results that I fell in love with!

Let me know what you think of the new look I tried! Have you tried Shany Cosmetics or Emani Minerals? What did you think of them?

No comments:

Post a Comment