Thursday, November 18, 2010

Brown Smokey Eye Tutorial

Hey Ladies! Today I will be sharing another picture tutorial on how to do a sexy brown smokey eye. Until I work out the lighting with my webcam for video tutorials, I will be loading picture tutorials- definitely more effective in my eyes.

I've chosen to do brown today as a more natural alternative than a grey or black, but this can be done with any color you choose! Creating a smokey eye is very simple, and I feel women may just be afraid of the blending that is needed to create the 'smokiness'. You don't need expensive brushes to do the techniques I show, you just need soft bristled eyeshadow brushes. They will make it so much easier to blend and apply the color to your eye area.

You really only need two color eyeshadows, I will be using gold and brown, and I decided to use shimmer instead of matte today. My cake eyeliner will be put away for a black eyeliner stick, and of course, black mascara. It's important to remember that you will also need to line your waterline on both the top and bottom of your eyes (the water line is the inside brim of your eye) and to also line with your shadow on the bottom lash line as well. I will be doing this with a smudge brush, since I don't want the shadow to make me look like I have black eyes!

After applying your foundation and concealer to your eyes, shaping and coloring in any thin areas of your brows:

Step 1:
Line your eyes with your black eyeliner. I've used Being True's dual eye liner in 'Yin'. I smudged this into my top lash line, and lined my bottom lashes all the way to my tear duct. If your pencil is dull, it will give a better smudged look. After lining the outside, I pulled up my lashes and lined my upper water line. If you're having difficulty doing this, you can leave this step out, but it will definitely give you a more defined look. I carefully colored in my bottom lash line, and brought it as close to my tear duct as possible. By lining before applying your shadow, it will make the liner less pronounced while still defining your eyes.


Step 2:
Apply your highlighting color. I've used gold on my brow bone area and dragged it down all the way into the crease of my eye with my usual short bristled shading brush. This gold color is called Citrine and is also by Being True. If you're unsure where to stop the highlighting shadow at the ends of your eyes, color all the way to the ends of your eyebrows and come down in a diagonal line. Brush away any excess gold that may have fallen on your lid.


Step 3:
Brown shadow time. I applied a good amount of my dark brown shadow (Tarte's Brown Derby) from the lash line up by taking onto my brush and applying heavily. I brought this color all the way to the crease of my eye, being sure the shade is even throughout.



Step 4:
Now that I have both shadows on my eye, I need to drag the lighter application of brown up over my crease. I dragged the shadow from my lid over my crease with even, tapping brush strokes. By going from my lid to my brow bone, I'll bring the color from my lid to my lower brow bone area. Again, I started from the outside of my eye. I shaded the brown higher onto my brow bone on the outside of my eye and gradually brought it lower going inwards. I used a smudge brush to bring some of the Brown Derby shadow onto my lower lash line.


Step 5:
Now that I've finished my blending and shading, The only thing left to do is clean up any shadow that has fallen onto my cheeks and apply some great thickening mascara. I used Prestige's My Biggest Lashes mascara. I used two coats on my top lashes, and used one coat on my bottom lashes. Finished look:


What do you think of the smokey eye look? Have you ever tried to do a smokey eye?

No comments:

Post a Comment